DIY Revamping Kids Pants to Extend Their Life

Hello everyone! As I’ve mentioned a few times before I’m all about reusing, recycling and of course why not refashion! Recently I published a post I shared How to Make a Cute Skirt out of Old Jeans and it turned out so cute that I had to try it again in some other way. Revamping Kids Pants is the best and simplest way to extend kids pants lifeway. As Kids grow up, pants start to run short. I revamped my girl’s pants and it turned out so cute. I saved them and gave them a second chance.

DIY Revamping Kids Pants to Extend Their Life

DIY Revamping Kids Pants to Extend Their Life

This was my contributor post for This Silly Girl’s Life. Revamping kids pants is super easy, have you noticed how much I love easy crafts??? LOL. Well I do love easy projects, I love to see final results quick LOL I also love having time to do other things!. This took a couple of hours even taking pictures. Then as it is my tradition we had lots of fun on the outdoor photo session =D. I used for this a very special pare of pants  {sentimental meaning} with an easy trick that also end up revamping it  =D.

What you need:

• Pants
  • A cute fabric of your choice
  • Thread
  • Scissor
  • Ruler
  • Fabric marker/pencil

I found a fabric with details in light violet, which was perfect because the pants have those cute flowers in violet too. So it was a perfect match. Yayyy!

DSC_4673

First thing put the pant on your girl and measure how much more length you need to add to it. If in example, you need 1,5 inches you add 1 more inch and then double it. So it would be 1,5 + 1 = 2,5 x 2 = 5 inches.Then measure the width of the bottom hem of the pant. Double that measure and add ½ inch on each end as seam allowance.

DSC_4674

Then cut a rectangle for the pocket. The measure will depend on the area of your pants. Leave 1 inch on each side as seam allowance. Turn it under ½ inch, then iron it, turn it under another ½ inch to inclose the raw edge, iron it again. Stitch one short side as the opening of the pocket and pin in place.

DSC_4675

For the bottom fabric, Turn the long sides under ½ inch and then iron it.

DSC_4676

Fold and put together both short sides and stitch ½ inch away from the edge.

DSC_4677

Iron the seam allowance open like this.

DSC_4678

Fold again putting together the hems like in the image bellow.

DSC_4679

Now find the seam between legs of your pants and match with the extension seam, place the pants hem between both layers of the new fabric extension. Pin in place.

DSC_4680

DSC_4681

The pants hem will be sandwiched between both sides of the fabric.

DSC_4682

Then stitch around the edge of the extension and iron it.

DSC_4683

Fold the extension so it would hide the seam.

DSC_4685

DSC_4686

There you have it! A new pair of pants! I love how it turned out and my girl love it too!

DSC_4687

DSC_4688

DSC_4709

DSC_4714

DSC_4736

DSC_4720

DSC_4707

Revamping Kids Pants to Extend their life!

What do you think? Have you extended the life of your kids??? How did you do it???

If you like this project, you might also like these too {click on the images}

http://titicrafty.com/2013/04/wall-diaper-stacker-a-nice-touch-for-a-baby-room/   http://titicrafty.com/2014/02/mommy-and-ems-coordinated-aprons-with-cut-files/

I have 27 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on DIY Revamping Kids Pants to Extend Their Life

Crystelle says:
    May 6, 2014

These pants are so stinkin’ cute! What a great way to make them last longer!!! 🙂
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

May 6, 2014

Thanks so much Crystelle! Glad you like them!!! =D Happy to have you visiting!

May 3, 2014

I used to do this with my daughters pants too. I love this “sew” much practical and stylish. Thank you for sharing your wonderful blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop I will be featuring you on Monday ♥

May 4, 2014

Thanks so much for stopping by and for the feature! aYayyy how cool!

May 4, 2014

Thanks =D

Fotini Roman says:
    May 2, 2014

This is a great idea, and they turned out adorable!!

May 3, 2014

Thanks so much! Glad you like it!… I’m planing on making some more my girl loved it!

4. SO CUTE!! I used to do this all the time with my daughter’s jeans! My favorite was using wide ruffled eyelet…made such a pretty, feminine contrast with the denim 🙂 Found you on Pin Junkie.

May 3, 2014

Hi Cindy! Thanks so much for stopping by!… Yeah I love this too… Hopefully I’ll have plenty of denims to tray other ideas such as yours! =D Thanks!

May 1, 2014

I’m glad you like it! LOL it’s super cute indeed and the best part she loved it! Thanks so much for your lovely visit!

April 30, 2014

Those pants are beautiful! And I like how you doubled the fabric before stitching it–neat and sturdier. Unfortunately, I could not use the idea. I have two boys of 9 and 11 and they would not appreciate such an addition. All I can do to extend the life of their pants is make shorts with them. Not bad, but less creative. I have a 3 years-old niece, though…

May 1, 2014

Well with boys it could work maybe using a similar fabrick, or some leather or something like that… For boys it definitely shouldn’t be cute but there is always a creative way to do it and make them look handsome in those pants!… If yo have a niece that’s the perfect opportunity to let our girliness out! LOL
      Thanks so much for your sweet visit!

April 29, 2014

Thanks so much!
      xoxo

April 28, 2014

I used to add ribbon and lace and ruffles to my daughters pants, because she is tall and skinny to make things fit. So cute1

April 29, 2014

Using laces and ribbon is a great idea! I’ll try that too when the next pair of pants run short LOL! Thanks so much for the idea and for leaving some love!

Ren says:
    April 27, 2014

This is a great tutorial. I especially love how you added the pocket to tie in with the cuffs. Smart. I’d love to see you join us at the Inspire Us Thursdays link party on http://www.theinspiredwren.com.

April 28, 2014

Thanks so much Ren for the sweet comment and the invite! Have a wonderful week!

Stephanie Smith says:
    April 23, 2014

Absolutely adorable. I am having a little difficulty following the instructions. How are you creating the area that the pants slide into the cuff. Sorry if I’m being annoying, I’m having one of those mornings. 🙂

April 23, 2014

Not annoying at all. In English it’s a bit challenging for me explaining things. It’s a bit tricky since I wanted to be right side of the fabric inside and outside!… So what i did was folding the fabric after sewing the ends to form the cuff and then I had two sides of the cuff, inside and outside right?… like in the picture… Then I inserted the pant cuff between those two sides of the fabric cuff. so it would be fabric cuff, pant cuff, fabric cuff. To sew it is a bit tricky because the space is tight but it can be done. If you need any more details or explanations you can send me a message on my FB page. English can be very hard for me, so I apologise for that! I do my best trying to explain in a second language! Thanks so much for asking, It makes me happy that people ask when they don’t understand something, that makes me get better!

April 22, 2014

The pants turned out adorable! I have done something similar to some of my daughter’s jeans but with a ruffle–I’ll bet this straight cuff style would look cute on boys jeans too! I will have to try it! (And post my results of course).

April 23, 2014

Oooh I definitely would love to see your style and ideas! This kind of revamping can be made in so many ways and perfect even for adults! =D
      Thanks so much for your sweet comment!

Elizabeth says:
    April 21, 2014

Darling!!! What a great idea! I have wanted to do this but have never dared. Thanks for the inspiration.

April 22, 2014

Yayyyy I’m so glad to give you inspiration!… That so easy and looks like a brand new pair of pants!… You will love it!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY Revamping Kids Pants to Extend Their Life