Mommy & Me DIY Halloween Owl Costumes

It’s not a secret to anyone that I LOVE owls so, when I saw these super cute Family Owl Costumes on the Pottery Barn Kids I just knew I had to figure out how to make them, one for mommy and one for Emma to wear them on this Halloween.

Mommy & Me Halloween Owl Costumes.

Mommy & Me DIY Halloween Owl Costumes

Mama y Yo, Disfraces de Búho para Halloween

Para español por fa usen el traductor que esta en la barra lateral izquierda del blog.

I really need to be honest here. I’m not a professional sewer and I have no clue how to create patterns {and my English is not perfect either} so, what I’m sharing here is how I managed to create these costumes. With a little extra imagination and creativity {perhaps a little more sewing knowledge from you} I think this can be easy enough to make it.These costumes are basically two wings and a hood. So it’s not that difficult once you know how to do it.

These are the graphics of the patterns I created for the wings and face and you can download HERE. The hood pattern belongs to the Sewing Novice and you can download it HERE.

Halloween-Owl-Costume-Pattern-and-Supplies

I created first Emma’s and then I applied the same process to mine but of course, bigger and with some different differences.

I used many small details on the costumes such as ruffled organza ribbon around the eyes, some patterned fabric for the beak. At first I didn’t know if it would work but I love how it turned out. I also add a lining fabric because I thought it would be more comfortable the touch on the face that way.

Mommy-and-Me-Hallowee-Owl-Costume-eyes

Mommy-and-Me-Hallowee-Owl-Costume-beak

I also wanted to hide the neck seam so I used pink satin ribbon and that same strip of ribbon is what ties the costume around the neck. I also used the ribbon to decorate the edge of the wings of my costume.

I realized when Emma was wearing the costume, that in some spots the feather seams are visible Ugh!. But then with the movement and stuff you can barely see it LOL.

It is not perfect because I’m not a professional but I really LOOOOVE how they turned out. Actually I’m making a costume for my Brother too next weekend LOL. He wans to be Dracula!.

Ooook then. Let’s start.

I created the patterns as I was requiring pieces. I’m sharing a bit of how I did and the sizes will vary depending on the age and size of the kids/people.

In some points I got so focused on what I was doing that I forgot to take pics so I tried to make graphics to explain.

Supplies I used

3.5 Yards {3 mt} of light gray felt 0.5 Yards {1/2 mt} of Pink felt 0.5 Yards {1/2 mt} of dark gray felt Pieces of black and white felt {for the eyes} Piece of yellow/orange felt or any fabric. 1 yard of white lining fabric. 7 yards of pink satin ribbon {1 inch wide} 2 yards of pink Organza ribbon {1/2 inch wide} Stuffing {for the tufts}

The first thing I did was of course creating the patterns in paper and cut them. Then I placed them on the felt and fabrics and I cut the fabric approximately 0.4 Inches away from the line marks. I used some special markers that disappear with time and/or wash to draw the lines.

I cut every piece first, including a bunch of “feathers” in pink, light gray and dark gray.

I cut the hood and the lining.

I put together both pieces of the hood and put a paper underneath it and to draw the ear tuft. Of course I cut it out too {this pattern is in the downloadable file}.

I started with the hood.

I sew the black circle of the eyes to the white one and then to the hood.

Then I cut the beak in both felt and the fabric {I didn’t have yellow felt I used this fabric}.

I used about 3x the perimeter of the eyes in organza ribbon to make the ruffle of the eyes. I mean if you make a circle with the ribbon that would surround the circle, that would be your reference and that is multiplied by 3. I did like that because it depends on the size of each eye. You might want it bigger or smaller.

Then I sewed close to the edge of the ribbon with a big stitch and relaxed pressure on the machine. Then I carefully pulled one of the threads and start ruffling the ribbon. Once ready I started sewing it manually to he edge of the eyes of the owl.

Then I made the beak. I sewed it first with the right side of the fabric facing the felt leaving a small space no sewed. I turned it to the right side out and then sewed all over the edge.

For the ears tuft I sewed them, turned them right side out and put the stuffing in it. You don’t need to fill it too much; it’s just to add some volume.

I placed the tufts {as I show in the graphic below} and placed the back peace of the hood on top. The eyes and tufts should be inside. Sew around the edge as it’s shown.

The next step was the lining. I sewed it and then attached it to the hood.

I put all the lining inside the hood and with the help of some pins I made some stiches in some strategic places so the lining doesn’t move or come out.

Ok now the wings.

First, I placed the feathers playing with colors randomly as you can see below until I covered it all. I secured them with pins and then I sewed each line of feathers.

Then, I sewed the pleat making sure to not sew the feathers.

I overlapped both wings where it should be the back. How much you overlap will depend of the back of your kid. The sewed pleats should be on the shoulders.

Then I sewed the hood to the wings as centered as I could and I hid the seam with the pink ribbon and it’s also the way I tie it up to Emma’s neck with a bow.

The last touch was cutting the edges of the feathers to round them and make them well shaped. After finishing Emma’s I made mine it was easier to make since I already knew how to make it and I didn’t add so many details.

Done… Voila!!!

The hardest part of making these costumes was trying it on Emma during each stage LOL. She got so annoyed. But the fun part was the final pictures because Emma took the remote control of the camera and shoot like crazy. I have to admit I couldn’t choose one pic, so I’m sharing a lot of them here. It was so much fun.

So what do you think, isn’t she look too cute???… I’m not sure about myself but it was fun making them and let’s see what happens in the Halloween party we are going to.

Are making costumes for your kids of for yourself???? Or have you used family costumes????

I have 45 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on Mommy & Me DIY Halloween Owl Costumes

Dana says:
    October 10, 2015

Hello!
    I’m trying to make this costume for my little one, but the link to the pattern is not working! Can you please help!?

Thank you so much!
    Dana

October 10, 2015

Hi Dana, so sorry the link didn’t work, but so excited you want to make this costume!!! I fixed the link, at least I think I did. Please try again and let me know!!!
      Hugs and XOXO

Marilyn says:
    August 29, 2014

These costumes are absolutely adorable!

September 3, 2014

Thanks so much =D!!!

March 18, 2014

Awww…unfortunately only one of the pics shows up for me, but from that pic the owls looks fantastic!! Thanks for linking to my hooded towel tutorial. I’m pretty impressed that you thought to use a hooded towel tutorial to make a costume! Great work!

February 14, 2014

These costumes are gorgeous! I would wear mine everyday!

November 25, 2013

Thanks so much everyone for your great comments, for stopping by and take the time to see what I have to share! Love having you, you visit and comments totally made my day!

feelincrafty says:
    November 16, 2013

adorable! I have a friend with a daughter and they love owls! They totally need to do this. I love it!

November 1, 2013

SO cute!! Hope you guys had fun last night! Thanks for sharing at Share Your Stuff Tuesdays!

October 31, 2013

Oh my goodness, I’m dying! This is so stinkin’ cute! What a talented momma you are! So fabulous.

-Kristina (Mother’s Niche)

October 31, 2013

Adorable!! Beautiful work and it looks like you’re having a great time! Pinned it and sharing it on social media.
    Your little one is precious, too!

Thanks for linking up at the party,
    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

November 25, 2013

Thanks so much Christina! It was a great time LOL she was fascinated pressing the cam button LOL

Lisa says:
    October 30, 2013

How adorable! Im glad I’m not the only one doing coordinating costumes for me and my kid. I might as well do it while I can now! We’re going to be matching tigers, so I made my own striped t-shirt, ears and tail!

Carrie R says:
    October 30, 2013

Wow! These costumes are beyond cute!! 🙂 I love them!
    Thank you so much for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week! Pinned & sharing.

Annie says:
    October 29, 2013

You two are SOOO CUTE!!! I love the pretty details. The photos are lovely too!

B Gira says:
    October 29, 2013

Hellp! Stopping by from the Serenity You hop. These costumes are so precious and downright gorgeous! I especially love the feathered wings. What a special memory!
    Happy Halloween!

November 25, 2013

Thanks so much B Gira. Thanks so much for stoping by and leaving me some love! I’m glad you like it!

November 25, 2013

Thanks so much Jil! Have a fabulous week yourself!

November 25, 2013

Thanks so much Jenya! I’m happy you like it!

October 27, 2013

perfectly adorable! thank you for linking up to Snickerdoodle Sunday!!

PinkOddy says:
    October 27, 2013

Oh what a fantastic job you did and how kind of you to share a step by step how to

November 25, 2013

Thanks so much PinkOddy! Love sharing and inspiring!

Heidi Fuqua says:
    October 26, 2013

Oh, what cute costumes. You look adorable in them. Hope your weekend is wonderful.

Rae Buchanan says:
    October 26, 2013

Your costumes caught my attention on Google+! When I came to your blog, I can’t tell you how impressed I am with your attention to detail and photos! What great pictures you took together. Wonderful stuff!

November 25, 2013

Thanks so much Rae! I’m glad you like it!

Rae Buchanan says:
    October 26, 2013

Your costume really caught my eye on google+. When I came to your blog, I am really impressed with the pattern you created and your attention to detail. anyone could follow this and make this adorable set! Kuddos to you and your daughter…great photos as well. Thanks

October 26, 2013

Thanks so much Rae! That is ver encouraging. This was a total challenge. I’ve never made anything without patterns before. Thanks so much for your sweet comment and for stopping by.

October 26, 2013

Your costumes caught my eye at the Serenity Saturday party. Absolutely adorable!!! Nicely done 😉 Happy Halloween! 🙂

October 26, 2013

Awww Thanks you Brenda for this lovely comment and for stopping by. I’m so happy that you like it!

October 24, 2013

You two are seriously too cute for words. I LOVED the photo sesh – – all your fun poses together. Your love for each other is palpable in this post! (And the costumes are SO creative. I love owls…and a Mama and daughter duo is just out of this world amazing.) Well done, Camila!

October 26, 2013

LOL Thanks Lauren. That was a huge challenge and I’m very happy with the results. =D. Those photos were so much fun. As soon as I noticed that Emma’s got distracted with remote control and was happy I just let her and started rolling with it with funny faces and stuff. That was a great and fun time LOL! Thanks so much my friend I so happy that you stopped by as usual!

October 24, 2013

Love it! How adorable. This an awesome way to create great memories with her.

October 26, 2013

Yes it is indeed Beca, I love having this moments with her. Thanks so much for stopping by

October 23, 2013

soooo cute! Emma looks great and so sweet!
    I really appreciate your attention to detail, such as the ribbon around the eyes: gorgeous and clever: eyes gets more expressive.
    Great tutorial, as always! Thanks!
    xoxo
    Kiki

October 26, 2013

Thanks so much Kiki. I really enjoyed making this costume! I’m very glad you like it!