Arroz con Leche – Rice Pudding

I learned this Arroz con Leche {rice pudding} recipe when I was like 13 years old by accident trying to make something else. I really haven’t gone through other Rice Pudding recipes so couldn’t tell if it is the original recipe or not. But this one has been a total success in my family since I first made it. My dad is the first one to ask me to make it every holiday and even many friends ask me to make it when they are visiting!

Arroz con Leche – Rice Pudding

Arroz con Leche - Rice Pudding Recipe #dessertrecipe #ricepudding #ricepuddingrecipe

As soon as I came to Oman, my dad and my little brother asked me to make rice pudding and I though it would be nice to share it with you as well!.

The recipe is very simple.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of white {normal} rice.
  • ¾ cup of white sugar.
  • 2 stick of cinnamon.
  • 5 cups of whole milk
  • 3 cups of water
  • 1 can of Sweetened Condensed milk.
  • Cinnamon in powder.

Directions:

It should get thick and the rice very soft. Then it will be ready.

Before putting it away stir the condensed milk and mix.

Arroz con Leche - Rice Pudding

Cook time
Total time

A delicious recipe for a Latin/Spanish dessert: Rice Pudding {Arroz con Leche}. A sweet combination of flavors to bring you a mouthwatering dessert.
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Traditional
Serves: 10
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of white {normal} rice.
  • ¾ cup of white sugar.
  • 2 stick of cinnamon.
  • 5 cups of whole milk
  • 3 cups of water
  • 1 can of Sweetened Condensed milk.
  • Cinnamon in powder.
Instructions
  1. In a big pot stir the rice, sugar, cinnamon sticks, milk and water and mix everything with a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer over low heat and leave it for around 2 hours mixing every now and then.
  2. It should get thick and the rice very soft. Then it will be ready.
  3. Before putting it away stir the condensed milk and mix.
  4. Put it away and wait until it’s cool and put it on a glass bowl that you can put in the fridge.
  5. It’s ready to eat. I usually wait until next day to eat it because it tastes better. When serving add some powdered cinnamon and it’s good to go!

This tastes so good. I know that people change some things depending on the country. For example in Spain they add orange peel, in Venezuela they add some cloves, and so on. But I don’t like any of them so I make it simple!.

DSC_2813

Someone kind of liked it!!!! LOL

So what do you think have tried this before? If so how do you like it???

Here you have some other yummy dessert recipes in case you are hungry lol:

I have 50 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on Arroz con Leche – Rice Pudding

Diane says:
    December 1, 2016

I like your recipe; I like your site and appreciate your energy! But I wouldn’t call white rice “normal” rice. We began stripping rice of all it’s vitamins and got used to it – it was a big disservice to our world and inhabitants – many of whom are poor living on rice as their base. it has led to many health conditions; turning healthy foods into vitamin deficient has added to the out of control number of obese children and adults, diabetes victims, etc. I would use this recipe with what I consider “normal” rice – and that would be brown, healthy nice before it was stripped, bleached, or white powder added to it to make it look “nice.” Full of nutrients — the reason so many people survived a rice diet. Brown rice and beans make the perfect protein. I’m not saying I don’t like the way white rice tastes – I had to get over it – used to a healthier way. Once in a while I need a white rice fix; but that’s like saying I need a diet soda once in a while – neither are really healthy for you but we crave them sometimes. I also like brown basmati rice — which would be delicious in this recipe. Okay – my two cents regarding the word “normal” and how we should start gravitating towards more healthy choices. For the sake of our future generations, we need to start going back to nutrient rich foods and a more plant based diet. Rice is one of the most important elements. (and lots of rice nowadays is full of arsenic – so soaking it for a few hours if not overnight is recommended.) Thanks for listening.

Nellie says:
    March 1, 2015

Hi there! I just wanted to stop and comment on the recipe. I found it on the yummly app and I must say it looks delicious. I did try it and used 2% milk instead of whole. I did attempt the simmer technique but after 2 hrs I turned the stove to 4 and that seemed to do the trick. I don’t know if it was the milk but after I upped the heat it cooked perfectly. It also tasted great!!! Thank you bunches!

October 8, 2014

I love the simplicity of this – and a sweeter way to serve up some rice. Thanks for sharing on Weekend Bites

Sinea Pies says:
    October 5, 2014

Cami, this looks delicious! It was very popular at our last blog hop so it will be featured this week on Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop on Ducks ‘n a Row. Hope you’ll stop by.

Carmen says:
    October 3, 2014

Oh my! This looks so yummy! I might have to try making this very soon! This is a popular dish during the holidays in Puerto Rico as well. 🙂 I will pin this right now!!

6. I bet this is good!! Thanks so much for sharing with the Thursday Blog hop. Hope you will join us at http://www.over50feeling40.com. Have a great weekend!

October 1, 2014

Love your fabulous recipe. Stopping by from Moonlight and Mason jars to pin. I would be honored if you would consider sharing your delicious post on Foodie Fridays where I am co-hosting. The party starts Thursday 9 pm Est. Hope to see you there.
    Blessings,
    Shari

September 30, 2014

I love Rice Pudding especially when it’s cold! #SITSGirls

liz says:
    September 29, 2014

Hi Cami! I love arroz con leche! The last time I had it my cousin made it for breakfast when we went to visit her in California 🙂 Good times! Thanks for sharing. Stopping by after seeing your link at VMG 206 DIY Showcase!

Have a great week!

Liz

Deedra says:
    September 29, 2014

Wow this looks amazing! I have not had rice pudding in a long time and this makes me want to make it. Thank you for this post.

November 2, 2013

Just pinned and shared on Facebook as one of this week features at Freedom Fridays:)))

Lovely dish!

November 1, 2013

Congratulations! This post is featured over at Diana Rambles today and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest, Tweeted, and Recommended on G+. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

Shauna Smart says:
    October 31, 2013

Oh wow, this pudding looks so delicious! I really shouldn’t blog this late at night when I’m so hungry, lol! Thanks for linking up this post at The Weekend re-Treat Link Party last week! Pinned to our party boards too 🙂

Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes

Maria says:
    October 30, 2013

This looks delish Cami, my dad would’ve loved it! Thanks so much for sharing at the Krafty Inspiration Thursday party. I can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to this week.
    Happy Thursday
    Maria @ Krafty Cards etc.

Natashalh says:
    October 27, 2013

My man would love this! He keeps asking me to make him rice pudding, I just haven’t had the opportunity. He keeps distracting me with other requests, like for guava pastries!

October 27, 2013

My husband LOVE rice pudding, and this is completely different from how I make it, so I think I will have to try your version! Thanks so much for sharing this at the Pinworthy Project Party. I’m pinning!

October 27, 2013

I’ve never had this before and I love cinnamon! Your pictures are beautiful 🙂

October 26, 2013

Hey lady, just wanted you to know I’m featuring your recipe at the Blog Hop tomorrow night! So, stop by link up and grab your ‘featured’ button. Have a great weekend!

October 26, 2013

Yayyyyyyyyyy Awesomeeeee, how exciting!!! Thanks so much, I’m honoured!!!

Mariel says:
    October 25, 2013

Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing this at the ‘Or so she says…’ link party. I’ll be featuring it tomorrow. Pinned it too!

Mariel @ Or so she says…

October 26, 2013

Hurrayyyyy!!!! Thanks so much Mariel! I’m so excited! Woot woot!

October 26, 2013

Oooh yes! and let me know when you do it LOL Thanks so much for stopping by!

Kathy Penney says:
    October 25, 2013

That looks amazing Cami! It is one of my all time favorite desserts. Pinning this for sure. Thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty!

October 26, 2013

Yayyyyy, I’m happy that you like it! It’s slow but so easy to make! Thanks so much kathy!

October 25, 2013

Hi Cami! I’m popping over from Let’s Get Real today. I was drawn to your rice pudding because my oldest son loves it. He gets it every time we go to one of our local restaurants. He chooses the restaurant just for the rice pudding. I knew it must be kind of simple to make, but never took the time to look up a recipe. I”m excited to try your recipe when he gets home from college. It will be a nice surprise for him.

October 26, 2013

Hey there! Yayyyyyy that is exciting, I do dad with my dad when I visit him, I prepare it and when he comes from work he has it and he loooves it!. Please let me know when you make it to know what he said!!!

October 24, 2013

I’ll have to try this sometime soon because it looks so good! Thanks a bunch for sharing this at Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop! I hope we see you back on Sunday at 8pm central time!

October 26, 2013

Thanks so much Carrie and sure will!!!!

October 24, 2013

I really love your photography. Recipe posts like this one inspire me to do better. I’ve gotten good at taking picture of the process of cooking, but not staging the finished product like you do. Kudos!

October 26, 2013

Hi Karen, It’s all about putting up some decorations, napkins, maybe some ingredients that look good, flowers. That pic is like a composition and I usually use natural light. It;s always the best! Thanks so much for stopping by and I’m glad I inspired you!!!

cami

October 23, 2013

I adore rice pudding and haven’t made it in ages! You are making me want to whip up a batch 🙂 This sounds awesome!

October 26, 2013

Yayyyyy hurrayyyyy!!!! LOL I’m so glad I put and idea on you head LOL! Let me know when you make it!

October 22, 2013

What a wonderfully simple dessert. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

CJ Huang says:
    October 21, 2013

I’m a fan of rice pudding too! Gonna have to try this one out. 🙂

October 21, 2013

Hi, our family LOVES rice pudding and I am going to try out your recipe! TFS at made by you mon.
    Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

October 20, 2013

This looks so good! I love rice pudding! thanks for sharing

October 20, 2013

Thank you for a great rice pudding recipe thank you sooooo much for this AWESOME recipe! I have searched and searched for a great rice pudding recipe and Im making this One!

October 26, 2013

Yayyyyy I’m thrilled that I was there to give the recipe to you. Let me know how was it.

October 20, 2013

Camila…in Panama we prepare a batch when babies get their first tooth! also for just your comfort food dessert! Good memories and delicious every time my mom makes it for me…mine never tastes like her, lol! Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!

October 26, 2013

Wowwww I didn’t know that! And Our desserts never tastes like our mom’s or Granny’s LOL Thanks so much for your sweet comment.

Winnie says:
    October 20, 2013

It’s one of my favorite (ever!!) childhood pudding.
    My mom used to make it quite often (it was also my Dad’s favorite)
    Thanks for bringing such wonderful memories, I’m going to make it sooooooooooooon

October 26, 2013

That is so sweet Winnie. I’m glad I revived those memories!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!

October 26, 2013

Thanks so much Marti, I’m glad you like it!!!