DIY Flash Diffuser for Built-in Pup up Flashes

Often happens that accessories for external flashes are both for sale and homemade but for the built-in flash there are not so many. I’ve also noticed that many people besides me have been looking for ways to solve the problem of direct light blowing up and damaging our photos. That’s why I’ve created this DIY flash diffuser that helps A LOT when taking photos with little light!

DIY Flash Diffuser for Built-in Pup up Flashes

DIY Flash Diffuser for Built-in Pup up Flashes #Tutorial #flashdiffuser #photography101

Here I’ll show you how I made a DIY flash diffuser for DSLR Cameras with built-in flashes. On the web there are other ways to solve this but I wanted one like a lampshade so I could concentrate the light and of course diffuse it.

What you need:

• Gray cardboard with a thickness that fits into the flash slot
  • White and black cardstock
  • White glue or mod podge
  • Hot glue gun.
  • Cutter
  • Parchment paper.

First I made the pattern for the flash diffuser. You can download it here to print and cut.

I placed the pattern on the cardboard and transferred it with a pen including folding marks.

I cut the pattern helping myself with a ruler and the with an embossing tool I embossed the folding lines so the cardboard would fold more easily.

I have 38 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on DIY Flash Diffuser for Built-in Pup up Flashes

Judy says:
    July 7, 2016

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I have been searching the net for ideas on how to make a simple pop up flash diffuser. I found all sorts of plans made up by individuals who made it so complicated, I gave. (mostly men, lol) Their instructions usually started with: “get a screw driver, a saw and 5 ft of PVC piping”. Ok, so I am exaggerating, but when I read your notes that said, get a piece of plain white cardboard, I almost cried! Brilliant! You are my hero! I made the diffuser and it works perfectly.

July 8, 2016

LOL You are so funny! THANK YOU!!! You just made my day with your sweet and fun comment. I’m so glad my crazy idea of a flash diffuser worked for you as it did for me. I rarely use flash but when I do I always use my diffuser. I actually should make a new one, mine is a bit aged to say the least LOL. I’m super glad, seriously. Knowing that you made it and it worked makes me so happy. You know sometimes we make something that works on our electronics or home and not always works for everyone else. In this case I have a Nikon and I have no idea if it would work for other cameras or other people! You made my day and put a smile on my face!

THANK YOU!!!!
      HUGS!

Lucas says:
    January 19, 2016

Nive tutorial! The only problem is that i can’t print the pattern… So could anyone give me the sizes please?

January 19, 2016

Hi lucas. I checked the link and fixed it. Please could you try again? It should be working now. and I also realized that i need to update it since this pattern is from when I was blogging in Spanish. So where you read cortar. it means cut and where it says doblar, it means fold. Thank you for stopping by and letting me know there was a problem with the link! Let me know if it still doesn’t download and I’ll figure out how to fix it!

Eliza says:
    March 30, 2015

What a great, really easy to follow tutorial! A diffuser is so handy for those non-setup lighting situations – thanks for sharing 🙂

Thanks too for contributing this post to The Sunday Brunch Magazine.

All the best,

Eliza & Bel x

Condo Blues says:
    March 6, 2015

I know I need a diffuser for my camera but haven’t gotten around to buying one. I’m pinning this so I can make one instead. Thanks!

March 17, 2015

It works wonderfully and you won’t spend hat much!
      glad you like this!
      XO

March 17, 2015

Thank you Diana! Appreciate it!

Laurie says:
    March 3, 2015

Such an excellent tip! Thank you so much for sharing at VMG’s Brag About It link party this week!

Miss Kitty says:
    March 1, 2015

Congratulations for being featured over at the Snickerdoodle Sunday party! This is a great idea…thanks for passing it along to us!

February 28, 2015

Great idea! I’ve been thinking of buying a Light Scoop, but I think I’ll try this first! Thanks for sharing this great tip at The Pin Junkie party!

February 27, 2015

I’m thrilled to have run across your post for the diffuser. Will try to make one so I will have pretty pics, too. Stopping by from the Weekend Retreat Link Party …. thx again for this info. 🙂 Suz

February 26, 2015

This looks very helpful! I have encountered this problem many times and didn’t know what to do about it. Thanks for the tips! <3

Pamela Smith says:
    February 26, 2015

I just started trying to really get good at picture taking, but sometimes rooms are just too dark, but I don’t like the flash either. I am definitely going to give this a try. Thanks!
    ps. I found you on the Be. YOU. Tiful link party.

Dee says:
    February 25, 2015

I just got a new camera, and the pop-up flash is so annoying! This is just what I need, so thanks SO much for sharing at Snickerdoodle Sunday! I’ll have to pop in more often. 🙂

February 25, 2015

Hi Dee!! This helps so much when the light is not good enough!!! glad you like it!

February 25, 2015

Thank you!!!! =D

LydiaF says:
    February 16, 2015

I’ve been struggling with the light in our apartment. It’s lovely when the sun is out, but when it’s hiding…it can be pretty dark photo-wise. I’ll give this a try before sinking $$$ into a professional lamp.

February 20, 2015

Hi Lydia, How great to have you here. This diffuser is a really help but it’s not like the main solution a good photo of a product should have an even light without too much highlights and shadows, So even if you try this diffuser I would suggest you consider the pro lamp, even if it’s not the most pro because that is a great help too. For example if you have to shoot and there’s no sun you can place lamp on a side a bouncer {can be a white or silver cardboard} on the other side and use the diffuser you will have an even light on the product you are photographing. Do I make any sense?… Just the light must not be hard or direct. Lamps with those diffuser are the best. You can even make your own lamp with the diffuser using this diffuser main idea. Glad you found this helpful, Thanks so much for your sweet visit!

Génesis says:
    November 30, 2014

Hi! This how to is awesome. It is perfect to me. But I need the pattern for cut on the cardboard. If you can upload in some place, I would be gratefully. Thanks in advance.

December 1, 2014

Hi Genesis, The pattern is on the post… You will see that right after the supplies you need it says that I created the pattern and you can download it “here”. I checked and the link works but if you have any trouble downloading just let me know!

XOXO and I’m happy that you liked this post!

Nina K says:
    September 19, 2013

Fantastic!!! Thanks 🙂

Ashley says:
    April 3, 2013

Awesome! I need to make one of these!

TitiCrafty says:
      April 2, 2013

Thank you so much Diana!!! So cool to have you here!

April 2, 2013

This is really neat! My kids love photography so we will give this a try!
    Thanks,
    Gloria 2 resourcefulgals.blogspot.com

TitiCrafty says:
      April 2, 2013

Yayyyy so cool! it is very good, I use it almost all the time. If you have any doubt building it just let me know I’d be happy to help 😀

Thank you for stopping by (happy dance)

March 31, 2013

Hi! You were the link before me at the new Weekend Creative link party! Just wanted to stop by to say hi! Great job on the DIY Flash Diffuser! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Julia
    It’s Always Ruetten

TitiCrafty says:
      April 1, 2013

Hello Julia, loved your blog, really! and your kitchen art are great! Thank you so much for stopping by and leave your kind words!

Yayyy love to make new blogging friends!!!

March 29, 2013

This is a great idea!! Super easy too.. I will absolutely be trying it out 🙂 Pinning!

TitiCrafty says:
      March 30, 2013

Hi Jessica Thank you so much for stopping by!. It is really easy actually. Hope it works for you as much as it works for me 😀 I would love to see it when you make it.

Thank you for pinning! Hope to have you around soon!

DulceLuz says:
    March 11, 2013

sencillo, fácil y una muy buena herramienta, gracias.

TitiCrafty says:
      March 11, 2013

Gracias Dulce! Me alegra que te gustara y que te sea útil 😀

Espero verte pronto por aca!